Three points of interest:
1) I appreciate that the authors did not get bogged down by the realities of arm length, as discussed for the first dance. Their dance is representative and able to convey its message through the general assumption that the dancers' arms are of equivalent length to each other and themselves.
2) In a similar vein, they discuss the use of 'stunt doubles' for infinitely small points and infinitely narrow lines. I think its easy to take for granted that our hand drawn points and lines represent this, but its important to remember that our students probably don't. Especially considering the only 'infinitely small' point we know of in nature is the singularity at the centre of a black hole, which we can't even see!
3) Lastly, I enjoyed the discussion of the 'temporality' of dance as compared to the static, 'all-at-once-ness' of paper imagery. It is an important reminder that seeing the process of construction visually is just as important as seeing it logically. Where dance is not available (or performable), other forms of animation can be used to provide a similar, albeit less human, experience.
Very nice!
ReplyDelete