Sunday, December 13, 2020

Dec 13 - Assignment 3 Reflection

Researching the Marshall Island navigators provided a strong reminder and example that mathematics is more than written equations, proofs and definitions. The Marshall Islanders had no written language, and so had no codified mathematics. Instead, they represented their navigational knowledge through their stick charts, or 'manoa'. Their level of understanding was/is quite impressive, all based on intuition, verbal communication and experience, which was then visualized using a map. 

I think this can be used in my future teaching as an example of mathematics beyond the written. A lot of the students I have encountered thus far view mathematics as equations, formulas and problems to be solved. But mathematics is at its core about reasoning and logic, and I think this creation of a visual representation of their surrounding area is a prime example of this core in action. All of our equations, proofs and formulas began with logic and reasoning about the world around us, and the Marshall Islanders are an excellent example we can discuss with our students. 

1 comment:

Dec 19 - Final Reflection

In my first blog post I thought that math history could be a valuable addition to the regular math curriculum because I think its important ...