Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Oct 14 - Was Pythagoras Chinese?

 


•        Does it make a difference to our students' learning if we acknowledge (or don't acknowledge) non-European sources of mathematics? Why, or how?

    I think it absolutely makes a difference whether or not we acknowledge non-European mathematics. Our historically Euro-centric curriculum easily lends itself to marginalizing non-European culture in schools. One of the most straightforward ways I can think of to promote a multicultural curriculum is to introduce math topics using historical context from any and all civilizations which used them.

 

•        What are your thoughts about the naming of the Pythagorean Theorem, and other named mathematical theorems and concepts (for example, Pascal's Triangle...check out its history)

    I think naming prevalent and important theorems and formulas in mathematics is important, if for no other reason than it makes them easier to remember and reference. That said, naming historical formulae and theorems after a specific person, when there is evidence that others arrived at the same conclusion, does a disservice to those who it isn’t named after. The Pythagorean Theorem could trivially be renamed to The Right Triangle Theorem. Pascal’s Triangle, which was devised by Chinese mathematician Yang Hui1 six centuries earlier, could be renamed The Binomial Triangle.

  https://www.britannica.com/science/Pascals-triangle


1 comment:

Dec 19 - Final Reflection

In my first blog post I thought that math history could be a valuable addition to the regular math curriculum because I think its important ...