I am of the opinion that mathematics history would be a
valuable addition to the general curriculum (K12 and post-secondary).
Understanding history is integral to understanding how we arrived in the
present, and mathematics is no different. Historical context is one way to
answer the question of why students have to learn various things. I personally
would have enjoyed learning about how Leibniz and Newton individually invented
calculus, what kinds of motivations they had, the immediate impact of the
publishing etc. Or to have any historical context around arguably the most
famous equation high-schoolers learn, the quadratic formula. The focus of the
curriculum should still be on mathematical skills and concepts themselves, and
I do not think the history itself should be included in assessment.
I strongly
agree with the proposition to use history as a resource when teaching
mathematics (pg204-205). If nothing else, framing a lesson in a historical
concept provides direct access to relevant problems to answer the question “why
are we learning this”. I also found myself in agreement with the proposition
that “mathematics is an evolving and human subject…which requires intellectual
effort and it is determined by several factors…it is not a God-given finished
product designed for rote learning”. I think this links back to the
relational vs instrumental learning argument from EDCP 342A, and that teaching
mathematics through a historical lens or context better enables relational
understanding. A final point of note, I found myself overwhelmed by the sheer
number of examples put forth in section 7.4, many of which I have never heard
of. The section is a strong reminder just how wide, and deep, the history of
mathematics is, and how much material is available to us as educators to
incorporate.
A good start to the course, with many interesting ideas and observations. Thanks Max!
ReplyDelete